The Akro Secondary Technical School (Akro Sec Tech) in the Lower Manya Krobo Municipality of the Eastern Region has been shut down after some students assaulted two suspected thieves on Friday, January 21.
The two suspected thieves are said to have invaded the girls’ dormitory last Friday. One of the suspects, Emmanuel Kpabitey Sackitey, later died at the St. Martin’s De Porres Hospital.
The Eastern Regional Education Directorate in consultation with the Municipal Security Council decided to shut down the school to avert any reprisal attacks.
According to the Ghana Education Services’ Spokespersonin the Eastern Region, Emmanuel Acheampong, the closure of the school is to restore safety in the school for a successful completion of the 2021 academic year.
“Given the situation, a good number of the students have already left although we are yet to complete the academic year of 2021. We started with the examinations but under the current situation, it will not be safe to keep them so we have asked that they go back home so that if everything normalizes we come back safe and continue to finish the academic year,” he told Accra-based radio station, Citi FM.
One of the suspects first entered the school but luck eluded him after he was caught by the students and was beaten to pulp.
Later on, another unnamed accomplice illegally came in demanding the release of his counterpart amidst threat on the student body but he was also apprehended and assaulted.
The Headmaster of the School, Charles Osombaa, explained that the suspected thief was first apprehended by the students and started beating him before the school authorities came out of their bungalows.
He added that after the school authorities managed to free the first suspect from the grip of the students, awaiting the police, “another one emerged threatening the student that, if the other thief is not released, he will bring others from the town to beat them up. This infuriated the students and they beat him. We managed to rescue him. The police came in and took him to the hospital. Upon reaching there he was pronounced dead.”
In the meantime, the Eastern Regional Police Command has intensified security at the school.
According to the Odumase District Commander, Supt. Doris Grant, officers have been stationed to patrol the area.
Police investigations have since been launched into the incident.
“I had information that some two boys had invaded the school, and they were thieves. My men responded and came here and saw that they had been physically assaulted. I gave directives that they should be taken to the hospital. Unfortunately, one died”, Supt. Doris Grant
The remains of the deceased have been deposited at the hospital mortuary for autopsy, while the surviving suspect, Odoi Solomon, is still responding to medical treatment.